By Janet Illidge, Jun 11 2015 08:02PM
Time to get yourself ready for Summer
Hope you are all well and enjoying the summer sun. Now is a great time to give your mind and body a boost. Summer is the time when all sorts of delicious healthy foods become readily available.
Just to whet your appetite here are the top 3 summer berries to help you get started.
1. Raspberries - a good source of vitamin C and fibre, they also contain folate which helps to build healthy cells.
2. Strawberries - full of vitamin C, fibre and bioactive compounds to help to prevent blood clotting.
3. Blackcurrants - weight for weight they contain 4 times as much vitamin C as an orange and help iron absorption. They also help to boost healthy skin and bones.
Why not try berries and yoghurt for breakfast?
Why not start your day with some berries and natural yoghurt with probiotics to help look after your digestive and gut health. The live cultures - L. acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis can help to reduce your risk of gastrointestinal problems, including diarrhoea and IBS. Yoghurt can also be used to help reduce discomfort from sunburn - it's quite cooling and soothing on the skin.
Simple tips to aid better digestion
* never eat on the hoof, or in front of your computer (could be expensive too!!)
* avoid snacking and eat regular meals throughout the day
* take your time to prepare and cook food and make your meals colourful
* drink up - your body needs fluids to digest food properly. Drink liquids about half an hour before eating or one hour after.
* adopt a routine - for eating and other activities such as work, exercise and relaxation. Remember - it's not just what you eat it's also how you eat it. Give your meal your full attention without distractions.
Help your skin - 5 minutes of daily dry body brushing before your bath or shower. As well as elminating toxins through the skin by encouraging lymphatic drainage and boosting circulation, it relieves puffiness and helps fight cellulite.
Start by giving your body a good brushing using a natural bristle body brush or an exfoliating mitt, work all over your body in long, sweeping strokes. Begin at your toes and move upwards in the direction of your heart. Then start on your back, brushing upwards as far as you can reach, finally brush downward from your neck, over your chest and upper back. Start gently and increase the pressure.
A quick facial steam is a great skin freshner. It opens the pores, deep cleansing skin by steaming out embedded dirt.
Add hot water to a large bowl. For a rejuvenating steam, add some green tea and herbs, such as rosemary or mint. Drape a towel over your head and sit with your face over the bowl, allowing the skin to absorb the steam, for about 5 minutes. Pat skin gently dry and apply plenty of rich moisturising cream.
Treat Your Feet
Your feet have been tucked up in tights and boots over the winter and need some attention to ensure they are ready to go on show in sandals.
Start by giving both feet a quick going over with a loofah to get the circulation going then smooth over any rough patches with an exfoliating cream, not forgetting the soles. Finally apply cream.
Looking after your physical wellbeing does wonders for your mental wellbeing too – so enjoy and get ready for summer.